Burnett Catchment Web GIS

Robin.Ellis at dnr.qld.gov.au Robin.Ellis at dnr.qld.gov.au
Sun Jun 18 22:42:39 EDT 2000

Thanks Steve. I'll try to elaborate a little on what we're trying to achieve
with Mapserver.

Ross Searle (Ross.Searle at dnr.qld.gov.au) and myself work on a project that
is attempting to get some of our existing land resource information out to
the community in a format that is easy to use and understand in a spatial
sense. Most of our historical datasets have been traditionally stored as
codes with accompanying technical documents and references. We've tried to
use Mapserver combined with mSQL as a database management system
(www.hughes.com.au) to deliver interpreted information combined with a real
world feel. We're also combining images and other multi-media, just to
enhance the appeal the system to a broader audience.

We're currently restricted to a small area geographically by reliance on
external funding. We'd like to extend both the geographical region covered
and the datasets incorporated, but we have to firstly prove that information
presented in this manner is useful and effective method.

Ross has done most of the work on the operatin of the interface. I've
decided to keep large operational images at this time (eg zoom in button),
as we are potentially dealing with individual clients who have never used
GIS, and perhaps would not be familiar with traditional operators. Again,
the check boxes and radio buttons for layer and query control are aimed
simply at creating the least amount of confusion possible. I realise we have
restricted ourselves to querying just 1 layer at a time, but am happy to
accept that at this time.

Mapserver was chosen for probably the same reasons everybody else is using
it. It flexible to suit a lot of needs, there's plenty of people around
willing to help out and give advice, and the cost really suits those of us
battling with ever decreasing government budgets! It's also pretty easy to
pick up the basic concepts - I have no Web background, but from a fairly
rudimentary knowledge of GIS I was able to pick up the basics of Mapserver
quickly, and I'm finding more people in my situation starting to do the
same.

That's really about it. I would appreciate any feedback or queries from
anybody. I apologise for any technical difficulties people have encountered
trying to access the site. We're trying to make it a bit easier to find, but
the wheels sometimes turn slowly. Please do have and a look and tell us what
you think.

http://www.dnr.qld.gov.au/resourcenet/land/lris/webgis/burnett/

Thanks.

Rob.