Tiling data

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jun 19 16:38:05 EDT 2000

The map object TILE parameter really has nothing to do with layer tiling. It's actually
a hold over from early MapServer versions. It's used when you want to apply a
given interface to distinct datasets (i.e. groups of shapefiles) that are organized
by directory. In general it's not used much anymore. Don't set the map
object TILE parameter at all unless you're sure you need it.

You need to use the layer object TILEINDEX and TILEITEM parameters and
that's it. If the TILEINDEX is in SHAPEPATH then setting TILEINDEX "tile"
should suffice (note the quotes since tile is a keyword).

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <vanderwalm at peligroso.gaiaenv.com> 06/19/00 02:58PM >>>
I am having difficulty accessing tiled data.  When I attempt to use my
map file, I get an error: msOpenSHPFile(): Unable to access file.
(tile).

My understanding is that this means MapServer is not finding my tile
index layer (tile.shp), which is located within the SHAPEPATH
directory.  I have tried setting my MapObject's TILE keyword to the same
as SHAPEPATH, tried commenting it out, and tried every variation I could
thing of in conjunction with the LayerObject's TILEINDEX keyword.

My question is: with my tile index shapefile located in my SHAPEPATH
directory, how do I tell MapServer where it is using the MapObject's
TILE keyword and the LayerObject's TILEINDEX keyword?

Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel