Possible explanation for undefined symbol problem...

Chris Fuhrman cfuhrman at tfcci.com
Mon Mar 6 16:26:53 EST 2000

Just for fun, I tried compiling mapserver/mapscript with gd-1.7.3 instead
of gd-1.2.  Upon re-installation, it told me that png_get_error_ptr was
undefined.

I then decided to go into the gd-1.7.3 src and make sure the thing was
installed.  In the course of fiddling with it, I discovered that libgd.a
was being installed in /usr/local/*

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem except that in my work environment
/usr/local is actually NFS-mounted off of another machine.  Furthermore,
there is already another version of libgd.a in there.

So my guess is that mapscript is trying to link off of that other version
of libgd.a which is causing the problems (I've no idea what version is on
the NFS server).

So basically, I've got two options:

1) Install the latest-n-greatest version of GD on the NFS box
   (risky.  Could break other programs)

2) Install mapserver on a completely separate machine.

Thanks for the help!

--
Chris Fuhrman
cfuhrman at tfcci.com

Public Encryption Key Available Upon Request