Map server interface available

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 23 10:58:28 EST 2000

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Doug: Cool. It is simple although a bit cryptic. A couple of questions:
>
>   - got any example urls for calling the ms.pl script?
>   - where/what is the required file dumpvars.pl?

I have modified the http://clearinghouse3.fgdc.gov/wmswrapper.html
to reflect the necessary files and an example invocation. The
dumpvars was a diagnostic include and was commented out, now it is
not in the ms.pl file.

> Seems the capabilities.xml file would be best built from the mapfile
> itself. I believe most of the params presented in the the .xml file
> are accounted for in the mapfile syntax. MapScript would really
> simplify that process. It could be used to simplify the getMap
> request by avoiding any CGI altogether.

I like this idea and would encourage any takers to show us how
mapscript could really be used to do this. There are a number of
useful values (Name, Title, Abstract) for each layer that may not
have a counterpart in a map file (only Name) and are really useful
for searching and evaluating the available layers in a catalog.
Perhaps these could be gleaned from legend-like constructs in a
future mapfile?

> MapScript also supports queries
> now so a getFeatureInfo request should be easily doable. In addition, you have
> direct access to the shapefiles in MapScript so dumping vectors as SVG or whatever
> can be done too.

I am confident this can be done for both raster and vector
targets under mapserver, just not yet implemented. As the
XML-encoded vectors stabilize in OGC's GML proposal this would be
a very cool output feature to demonstrate among the FGDC and other
pilot projects in the coming 6 months.