mapscript new functionality

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 3 09:20:10 EST 2000

I'll think about the delete issue. At present most all object management (i.e. memory) is automatic. That holds true for layers etc... Shapes are a bit different. Once a shape var goes out of scope it's destroy method is automatically invoked. You can trigger this yourself in perl with "undef $shape". I'm not aware of any memory leaks other than those that might exist in the SWIG C code.

On the java side, SWIG will generate a Java API with the exact same functionality as the perl or python versions. I've not played extensively with it but in theory. I'd want to pursue that as opposed to starting from scratch.

Please pass along app examples, they sound cool.

Steve

>>> <peter.jacobs at javel.nl> 11/03/00 05:34 AM >>>
Hello all,

We are at the moment very busy implementing the mapscript on our site. We
have used some functionality that I do not have seen using by many others.
Perhaps a suggestion.

--> the first time a user views a map tha mapfile is copied to a temporary
name that is stored in a cookie. A user now can change from within the html
page the colors, the names and the status etc. etc. etc.  When a user
returns after a couple of days he gets his changed mapfile, zoomlevel,
colors and layernames back

--> Queries can be converted into layers that are added to the mapfile

--> the mapobject is saved before viewing the result. This prevents the
bunch of hidden forms in the page.

--> We use a complete integration og Java, Javascript and Perl and php and
Oracle. This among enables the construction of PDF-documents as output of
the mapserv and the look and feel of a standalone application like
Photoshop. Within the next week we will send you the URL so anyone
interested can have a look.

New functionlity that we need are
--> To implement the delete method in many of the obects in the mapscript
and php_mapscript  (self constructed layers, shapes, etc. must be deleted)

Does anyone have a sugestion how to handle this. Do other people need this
functionality as well? Is this a good suggestion for the official versions
of mapscript and php_mapscript.

Another issue we want to deal with is the possibility to port major parts
of the mapscript into Java. With the growing usage of enterprise java
beans, we are planning to start such a conversion. Are there people who
agree on this conversion? Are there people interested in joining this?

I still have one php_mapscript question
After I query a point and get the shape integer, what is the best way to
get the relating dbf values on screen.

Regards,

Peter Jacobs