Vector Data and SVG

Jim T. Bowen (GAIA Consultants Inc.) bowenj at peligroso.gaiaenv.com
Wed Oct 18 10:02:29 EDT 2000

We have been discussing this issue in shop for some time and feel there
*is* a need to consider vector formats in web-based mapping solutions.
SVG is one format we have begun looking into and looks somewhat
promising.  Inherently, it seems like it could mesh well with MapServer
(obviously some significant re-write would be required).  Comments
Steve?

One of the major drivers toward a vector-based solution from our
perspective is our clients' requests to print scalable maps (e.g., rip a
36x60 plot on their in-house plotter).

My $0.02 (CAD)...