building mapserver w/o shared gd

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Wed Oct 18 02:21:53 EDT 2000

I've been grappling with the problem for a long time...
I am trying to build mapserver with a static linkage to
gd-1.2 (libgd.a).  On the more recent versions of redhat
linux, there exists a libgd.so (shared lib) in /usr/lib
and the compiler *always* links to the shared lib in the
gcc standard list of directories before those paths defined
by -L.

The one thing that I know that works.. is deleteing the
gd headers and lib from the standard directories (/usr/include
and /usr/lib)...  but that isnt a nice thing to do to someone
elses machine, especially if they are using it.   I have tried
the gcc linker -static with no luck.  Does anyone know of a
work around for this problem?

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions Inc