Vector Data and SVG

John Hockaday johnh at erin.gov.au
Mon Oct 23 17:35:35 EDT 2000

Hi,

We have considered going to this type of format for quite a while but
we haven't done so far the following reasons:

	1. It usually needs a plugin and in some places it is against
	business rules to allow the download of plugins.  This would
	mean that several heavy government users of our products would
	not be able to use mapserv.

	2. Some people do not have the latest browsers and therefore
	would not be able to see the application.  (Similarly this is
	why I have limited even javascript as some people use old
	browsers that can't interpret it satisfactorily.)

For these reasons I would hope that mapserv is still maintained with
GIF format.  With the option of other formats such as, SVG etc.

Why haven't we all gone to PNG instead of GIF?  I think that it is
because nearly all browsers can see GIF and not all can see PNG.  I
think that this is a similar argument for not going to SVG.

I'm not trying to prevent developments in new methodologies but I would
like to make sure that the old formats are maintained.

Johnh