Vector Data and SVG

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Oct 18 11:54:48 EDT 2000

Hello,

Coincidence ? We've started looking at this ourselves too !

There are a variety of vector formats out there that could be used to
implement
vector-based web mapping technologies. SVG is one ... we were also looking
at
flash (since the swf standard is now open, and there are librairies out
there for it,
and the plug-in is so common),
and VML, and if you REALLY want to potentially do some cool stuff, VRML (For
true spatial representation of data).

The main advantage is that we move CPU intensive work (rendering) from the
server to the client. Also, as someone mentionned, it can make printing a
lot
easier.

A couple of issues that came up is the fact that in some cases the vector
data is
sent "as-is" and that may cause concern for copyright holders. It also
requires a
lot more bandwith.

Given the recent topics brought up here, it seems that the demand is there
for
more varied input and ouput streams from the mapserver. OGR should provide a
nice way top abstract the "input" side of things (Obtaining data, whether it
be from
shapefiles, OSVecDB, SDE, or anything else).

Maybe creating a modular type of interface for mapserver output would be
usefull.
This might allow for a variety of both raster and vector output, from gif's
to SVG.
"Plug-ins" or "modules" could then be developped when new formats or
standards
come out !

One company in spain has been doing interesting work with vector-based web
mapping,
using open standards : http://www.imapper.com

I personally would most definitely enjoy seeing mapserver support OSVecDB,
since not
only is perfomrmance an issue here, but also the fact that managing very
many data sets
and layers can be very cumbersome, and having a centralized RDBMS centric
data storage
solution that is open source would be MOST interesting. SDE is obviously an
option, but
doesn't run on Linux, and I don't think there are SDE client libraires for
Linux as well, are there ?
(To compile Mapserver with SDE support on Linux ?)

My 2 cents. Now I'm gonna go join the OSVecDB mailing list :)

J.F.