Call for volunteers!

Marc Jacquin jacquin at geosys-inc.com
Tue Oct 24 01:38:19 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

This is a very interesting problem in terms of Software Engineering. How to
maintain a software shared by a lot of people ? From what I know, only the
documentation is not up to date. But, when you have to adapt MapServer to
your own environment, how to keep tracks of your own changes and integrate
them into the original source code ? How to follow the version evolutions ?

>From my point of view I had to make some changes in the 3.something code to
make it re-entrant and I have not found time since I talk to Steve a couple
of weeks ago to identify and give him the updates. Promised, I will.

But can most of MapServer users spend more time than they do on debugging,
updating and give Steve the feedback ? How to organize, validate and keep
track of the changes ?

I guess that Frank Warmerdam could help us. He is now leading the
remotesensing.org projects and OSIM is a good example. They surely faced the
same problems.

And let's give Steve the rest he deserves, we should create a Board
Committee deciding and validating (and managing) the updates
(software,version,documentation).

In the meantime, do we have a 'Powered by MapServer' logo ?

Finally, most of the people around the Geoweb are starting to compare their
product to MapServer, or trying to compete with ...

Marc