Call for volunteers!

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Tue Oct 24 12:48:51 EDT 2000

Marc Jacquin wrote:
> I guess that Frank Warmerdam could help us. He is now leading the
> remotesensing.org projects and OSIM is a good example. They surely faced the
> same problems.

Marc,

I am leading a few projects on remotesensing.org (geotiff, gdal, proj.4),
but not OSSIM though I do contribute to that.

I would say that a partial or complete move to a more public location
like sourceforge might be wise for MapServer.  In particular, I think
MapServer would benefit from a public bug tracking system.  It could
be that this is all that is maintained elsewhere for the time being.

BTW, the OpenEV project is on SourceForge, and performance at sourceforge
has sometimes been so painfully slow as to make me give up.

> And let's give Steve the rest he deserves, we should create a Board
> Committee deciding and validating (and managing) the updates
> (software,version,documentation).

Well, I don't know that Steve needs a committee, but it does seem prudent
to open things up enough that a few other trusted folks can provide fixes,
and improvements to the code, and documentation.  I think the proposal for
volunteers to update the documentation would be an excellent step to pursue
for now (and perhaps setting up a bug system somewhere).

PS. If you are interested in moving some stuff elsewhere, I would be happy
to volunteer remotesensing.org.  Perhaps you would just like to take
advantage of the bugzilla setup there for now, and perhaps more later?

Best regards,