scale, class & itemquery

Robin.Ellis at dnr.qld.gov.au Robin.Ellis at dnr.qld.gov.au
Tue Oct 24 20:20:47 EDT 2000

Has anybody experienced difficulties with zooming into an area based on an
ITEMQUERY with mapext=shapes when one of the layers that will form the
returned image has a MAXSCALE set and there are numerous CLASSES defined for
this layer?

I realise this sounds absurd, but my situation is this:

I am able to zoom to a shire based on a shire name selected from a menu.
Along with the queried Shire layer, I can also return a number of other
layers like property boundaries etc. These extra layers are exhibited
normally depending on wehther or not the MAXSCALE poroperty is set. However
I have one layer (showing ecosystem areas) that normally has about 10
classes set for shading purposes and a MAXSCALE set. This layer operates
normally when using the standard zoom and pan functions, however when I try
to zoom to a shire area using ITEMQUERY, this layer causes the operation to
fail. I can get around this in 2 ways, niether of which is desireable.
Firstyly, I can remove my MAXSCALE propetry. That's ok, but this is a large
data set and I don't want it exhibited when viewed from 'too far out'.
Secondly, I can remove the NAME property from all of my CLASSes. This, of
course, leaves with no Legend produced for the classes of this layer!! (I
can actually leave up to 2 NAMEs in my classes, any more and I get trouble).

I'd be keen to hear if anybody else has experience this type of problem, and
even keener to hear about a possible solution.

We're using version 3.3.011 on a UNIX server.

Thanks

Rob

Robin Ellis
Land Resources Officer
Department of Natural Resources
Burnett District
ph: 07 4131 5771
fax: 07 4131 5823
Robin.Ellis at dnr.qld.gov.au

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.

computer system network.