Strange lines when zoomed in

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Oct 25 10:21:28 EDT 2000

Sounds like your drawing line data as polyline data. Polygons and polylines have the same starting
and ending point according to the shapefile spec. MapServer expects that as well. The CVS version
contains an error trap for this but for now you just have to switch TYPE POLYLINE to TYPE LINE.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> RAldridge <RAldridge at linuxstart.com> 10/25/00 08:43AM >>>
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, or, better yet, had solved this problem.  I have a couple of small shapefiles (roads.shp & contours.shp) that aren't drawing properly when zoomed in tight.  The contours.shp contains ~1500 polylines and the roads.shp contains 8 polylines (coverage area is a single section).  Both shapefiles look good when zoomed out (e.g. 1:24000), but when I zoom in (to e.g. 1:5000), I get stray, straight lines shooting off of endpoints.  The stray lines appear to be random in their direction, but always seem to be beginning at existing endpoints.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert Aldridge