Any Australian contracting companies using mapserv

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Mon Oct 30 19:37:36 EST 2000

Hi John

As you will know, Social Change Online is a standards-oriented web
development company experienced  with mapserv.

There may well be others with an interest in our capabilities and approach.

We tend to build interfaces by wrapping a range of technologies in a
standard protocol (the OpenGIS Web Map Server specification) where possible
and build interfaces which are thus portable across many map serving
technologies, and even more importantly allow simultaneous use of many map
servers from different sites.

The critical adjunct to this capability is our current R&D effort with the
OGC on "service catalogs" - ie formal ways of describing the availability
of map layers. I suppose we are focusing on the next generation of "Spatial
Data Infrastructure".

Our interface technology is not map-centric - but we have a Java Beans
library that allows us to embed such distributed mapping applications into
JSP pages. The viewer could be a static image or an applet within this.

We can implement mapserv only interfaces under contract as well if required
to meet short term needs, or we can take mapserv interfaces and rebuild
them to allow access to other data sources at run-time.

more information is available at http://webmap.socialchange.net.au

A plethora of new sites using a range of mapping technologies is due for
release and will shortly be visible from here. I will make a formal
announcement to the mapserv list of those that use mapserv.

Regards

Rob Atkinson