defining projections

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Oct 31 16:31:22 EST 2000

Ben,

  If your shapefile data is in a different coordinate
system than your web map, you will have to specify
the projection information for both the data and the
rendered web map.

  For the web map, projection information is in the
"header" part of the map file (I put it after LINESET).
======================================
EXTENT 518510.066 5555675.320 1004018.796 5911026.391
UNITS meters
LINESET   symbols/line.sym

# View Projection definition
PROJECTION
  "proj=tmerc"
  "ellps=clrk66"
  "k=0.9996"
  "x_0=500000"
  "lon_0=117w"
END
======================================

The projection information for your shapefiles is in
the LAYER definition (for each layer):

LAYER
  NAME a.shp
  PROJECTION
    "geographic"
  END
  TYPE PolyLine
     :

The definition of the projection parameters in covered
in the PROJ4 doc, but they will look something like
(not that I've tested it!):

PROJECTION
  "proj=poly"
  "ellps=GRS80"
  "lon_0=77.75w"
  "lat_0=40.925n"
END

You may want to include a false easting ("x_0=0.0"),
a false northing ("y_0=0.0") and possibly a scale
factor ("k=1.0").

I expect that MapServer/Proj4 will handle geographic
values for the extent but the coordinates of the extent
MUST be in the coordinate system of the web map.
You cannot specify a web map projection of polyconic
then give the extents in degrees.

Hope  this helps...

Brent Fraser
bfraser at geoanalytic.com