symbol files and PIXMAP causing GD_ERROR

Sean O'Hagan seano at metavera.com
Sat Sep 16 17:49:18 EDT 2000

Hello list:

We recently migrated our mapping server from NT to FreeBSD. Mapserver and
mapscript are working fine so far except for additions I had made to the
symbol files. These additions had been working for a while on the NT system,
but I had to remove them to get mapserver to work on FreeBSD. I'm sure it's
something fairly simple, but I've tried almost every configuration in the
symbol file to no avail. These are the nefarious lines (as soon as they're
removed, everything works again):

from marker.sym:
Symbol
Name 'mvmarker'
Type PIXMAP
Image 'mvmarker.gif'   # (I've tried with no quotes, double quotes,
./mvmarker.gif)
Transparent 1  # (I've tried commenting this out)
END

and this is my very simple test file:

use mapscript;

$map = new mapObj('./test.map');
print "Error: $mapscript::ms_error->{code}\n";

exit;

I get error code 8, ie. GD_ERROR.

Thanks for your help,
Sean O'Hagan