Mapserv and SDE

Brian Fischer Brian.Fischer at co.sherburne.mn.us
Tue Sep 26 09:19:00 EDT 2000

I like John's suggestion for making an option to make the outline of the area of interest for the reference map thicker.  When developing my application I thought this would be a nice option.  Sometimes it is hard to see the outline.
Brian

>>> John Hockaday <johnh at erin.gov.au> 09/25/00 09:52PM >>>
Hi,

This is probably just for Steve Lime but I'll send it to this list just
in case someone else knows the answers.

I using MapServer Version 3.3.011 compiled for "-FreeType -TIFF -EPPL7
-JPEG -SDE" using Solaris 2.7.  I have been able to build up the map
file, template and query templates with wonderful results.  I have
found the development of interfaces very easy with the templates
and map files.  The examples at URL:
http://arachnid.dnr.state.mn.us/ms_test/index.html are an absolute
necessity.

I have some lacking functionality with the SDE layers which I believe
will be fixed soon?  They are:

	1. I can't perform annotation with the SDE layers.  An error
	message is produced telling me that that is not yet available.

	2. When I produce a QUERYMAP the SDE layers are not drawn.

	3. Layers with multiple, complicated polygons sometimes seem to
	have the polygons cut off.  (I'm not sure if other people are
	aware of this.)

I was also wondering if there was an ERRORTEMPLATE, or something like
that, in the map file that allows me to produce a more friendly HTML
message if a user doesn't select a querable point during a query.
Mapserv currently returns an

	"msQueryUsingPoint(): Search returned no results.  No matching
	record(s) found."

error.  I would like it to report something like, "Please go back to
the map interface and click on a point ... etc.".  It already has
HEADER and FOOTER in the LAYER object as well as a TEMPLATE in the
QUERY object so an ERRORTEMPLATE would compliment the functionality.

I would also like to make the thickness of the OUTLINECOLOR element of
the reference box, in the REFERENCE object, a little thicker so that it
can be more easily seen when the area of interest is very small on the
reference map.  I would probably have to edit the C code to do this
myself so I was wondering if someone could give me some line numbers or
keywords to search for so that I can make these changes.  Unless, hope
hope hope, someone has already made these changes?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Johnh