georeferencing the gif image

Tsering Wangyal Shawa shawatw at Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 27 17:43:06 EDT 2000

Now that I managed to run demo version of Mapserver. I am trying to create
mapserver with my own data set. I want to know, what is the best way to
create a georeference gif image file for backgroup (reference) map.

This is what I did: I open a map in ArcView and saved that map in a jpg
format before I saved the file I collected a general georeference info from
the map. After the image was saved in jpg I open that image in photoshop
and saved again in gif format. I used this gif image as reference image and
used georeference info that I collected the original  map (before I saved
it as jpg image) on REFERENCE EXTENT. But this is not working. I can not
overlay any thing on the map once I open it in the mapserver. What is the
problem and how to fix it.

I try to use tif map with georeference info as reference map but it did not
worked.

Thank you advance for your help.

-Wangyal