georeferencing the gif image

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Sep 27 18:26:10 EDT 2000

I generally use the mapserver standalone utility "shp2img" to create a base image. That is, I use a stripped down map file to build an image of say, state boundaries (noting the extent used to create it). Then I pull that image into photoshop and make it look pretty there. You can scale the image, but can't crop it without screwing up the extent you saved initially. Then, with the image done you can create the REFERENCE object in your main map file with EXTENT equal to the value noted above.

As far as I know there is no easy way to get the bbox for an image exported from ArcView. If someone knows otherwise please let the list know.

Steve

>>> Tsering Wangyal Shawa <shawatw at Princeton.EDU> 09/27/00 16:44 PM >>>
Now that I managed to run demo version of Mapserver. I am trying to create
mapserver with my own data set. I want to know, what is the best way to
create a georeference gif image file for backgroup (reference) map.

This is what I did: I open a map in ArcView and saved that map in a jpg
format before I saved the file I collected a general georeference info from
the map. After the image was saved in jpg I open that image in photoshop
and saved again in gif format. I used this gif image as reference image and
used georeference info that I collected the original  map (before I saved
it as jpg image) on REFERENCE EXTENT. But this is not working. I can not
overlay any thing on the map once I open it in the mapserver. What is the
problem and how to fix it.

I try to use tif map with georeference info as reference map but it did not
worked.

Thank you advance for your help.

-Wangyal