georeferencing the image

Andrea Goethals andreag at geoplan.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 28 11:03:51 EDT 2000

I had to add one more way to create the final image:

After much experimenting with how to get the best (in terms of small
file sizes and accurate colors) this is what I came up with:
As to the georeferencing part I do what Michael Anderson does
by getting the spatial extent through an AV extension: mine is
a little different but does the same thing - gives you the spatial
extent of the active theme. (record that to use in the mapserver
map file for extent)

Then for exporting the picture and "touching it up" I use a
combination of ImageMagic and Gimp (both free and stable :)).

I've found that neither of the 2 (ImageMagic and Gimp) can do
everything you want best but the two together can. ImageMagic
will allow to you to take really good screencaptures and it
only records the colors actually used in the image. However,
the image it creates is huge. Then you take that image into
Gimp and do a few steps to get rid of whatever the image
overhead that ImageMagic stuck into it and your file is very
very small (in file size). Actually , I often use a third
utility gif2png (also free and really well-written) to turn
it into a png and the file gets even smaller.

For more details follow these steps (attached) and you will watch the
image file size go down by a factor of about 30 times from
start to finish!

| Andrea Goethals         |
| andreag at geoplan.ufl.edu |
| GeoPlan Center          |