[mapserver-users] ecw

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 24 08:52:00 EDT 2001

Herman Tjesse de Haan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone using the ecw-format to display air photographs with
> mapserver?

Herman,

Is there direct ECW support in MapServer?

In any event, there is ECW support in GDAL and GDAL support has been
incorporated into the current CVS tree for MapServer.  If you are brave, you
could build the current CVS MapServer, and build GDAL (carefully enabling
ECW support) to get this capability.

More information on GDAL is available at:

  http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

The downside is that I have had problems with the GDAL ECW supporting hanging
processes on exit(), presumably because of some sort of threads issue on
exit.  So I don't know that this is ready for prime time yet.

Best regards,