[mapserver-users] SUM: multiple image tiles

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Fri Apr 27 11:30:22 EDT 2001

Thanks to Frank Warmerdam, and David Armstrong, who supplied the tools and
answers. There are two steps to displaying tiled images
1. Create a shape file index of the raster tiles.
2. Reference the index in the Map file.

Step 1:

Frank provided a great stand-alone tool to make the index shape file
ftp//gdal.velocet.ca/pub/outgoing/gdaltindex.zip
To run it you will also need to download the GDAL binaries for NT.
ftp//ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal-1142-ntbin.zip
To run it under UNIX would be something like
gdaltindex out.shp data/*.tif

To run it under DOS is a little more work, as you can not use a wildcard.
You have to get all of your image file names on to the command line. My
solution was less than elegant: First I did a dir *.tif > MakeIndex.bat /b.
This made a list of all my image files. Next I edited the batch file; I
removed the "Return" from the end of each line so that all the tif file
names were on one line, and then I added "gdaltindex.exe ImageIndex.shp" to
the beginning of the line. So I ended up with a DOS batch file that ran
gdaltindex.exe with all of the tif file names.

Alternately, there probably are ArcView and/or ArcInfo scripts that can
make the image tile index.

Step 2

Put a reference to the igmae tile index into your Map file. Mine looks like
this:

LAYER
     NAME "Aerial Photos"
     TYPE raster
     STATUS on
    # Image Tile Index Shape File created in Step 1, above
     TileIndex ImageIndex.shp
     # Name of Column containing the image file name, and optionally, path
     TileItem "Location"
END  # end of layer "Aerial Photos"

Thanks, Frank and Dave, for all the help.
Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.
Rich at GreenwoodMap.com