[mapserver-users] MapServer WorkBench

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Wed Aug 1 10:22:09 EDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:05:10AM +0200, mark.wilson at rohoel.at wrote:

> I assume MapServer WorkBench only works if you run it locally??  I know nothing
> about tcl/tk but I vaguely recall that there was/is some sort of related browser
> plugin for tcl. Would that offer any possibilities for running Mapserver
> workbench remotely?

Yes, currently MapServer Workbench runs on your local machine.  Yes, there
is a Tcl/Tk plug-in that allows Tcl programs to be run in Netscape or
IE.  However, there are a few problems with this approach and the
Workbench.  First, the workbench programs need the Mapscript/Tcl extension
for operation (the editor can work without it.)  Running extension in
the plug-in take a little more work, you have to set your Tcl plug-in's
policy file to be able to load this extension.  The second problem is that
the Workbench programs expect to read and write to local files, again a
policy setting.  Of course, with some work, these problems can be addressed.

I don't have any immediate plans for remote operation, but I'll keep it
in mind.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net