[mapserver-users] MapServer, ArcIMS, or SVG??

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Dec 5 09:57:22 EST 2001

Steve -

Here are a few thoughts, and I'm sure you'll get more responses.

First, you say that it has to be done QUICKLY, but yet you also say
MapXtreme is too expensive.  So speed isn't the only concern, and cost
is a factor, too.  It's very hard to give you detailed guidance without
knowing a lot about your MapBasic application.

Can MapServer be used with Java or ASP?  Yes.  I have developed an
application for a customer that uses a lot of both.  I also posted a
note on the list a while ago about some techniques for using MapServer
effectively in an ASP environment.

I'm not sure what defines a "more natural fit" for ArcIMS, but you
cannot run ArcIMS without a Java servlet engine, which is not a standard
part of the Windows server environment.  There are certainly servlet
engines available, but you should realize that you're going to need to
add one more product to the mix to make things work.

SVG is an apples-and-oranges comparison.  The description you mention
gets at the core of the distinction - SVG is not a GIS or map-making
technology.  It's an information storage, delivery, and display
technology.  It's a little like asking if you should use GIF for your
solution - perhaps you should, but you still haven't figured out how to
MAKE the GIFs.

MapServer has the obvious advantage of being customizable, so you can
bend it to fit your application.  There is certainly a bit of a learning
curve before you dare fiddle with anything, but I have found it very
easy to tweak and change.  I do all my MapServer development on Windows
2000.

The best way for us to help with your evaluation is to have you describe
your application in as much detail as you can.  There may be things in
that application that are especially hard or easy for MapServer to do.
For starters, what file formats are your GIS data layers in?  Are they
vector or raster layers?  How many are there and how big are they? etc.,
etc..

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker