[mapserver-users] Fonts with fixed size

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 17 10:18:34 EST 2001

thorsten fischer wrote:

> Is there a facility in mapserver that allows me to display a font in a
> fixed size of units, like meters? That means, a label like 'Berlin' has
> always to be, say, 450m high. This can result in the font covering the
> whole image if you zoom in too far.

You could do this using SYMBOLSCALE.  SYMBOLSCALE is the scale at which
your labels appear full size (i.e. using the SIZE setting) and they are
resized proportionally to the scale the rest of the time, giving the
impression that the label has a fixed size on the ground.  You can also
use LABELMINSCALE and LABELMAXSCALE to control at which scale your
labels start and stop being drawn.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca