[mapserver-users] slightly offtopic -- mapserver forums

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 17 17:12:49 EST 2001

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> Hmmmm... I knew there would be detractors, but I didn't expect the voice of
> dissent so soon. :-)

I was waiting quietly in the hope that there would be more supporters of
the web option to consider their arguments... but since you ask... ;)

... I vote for keeping an Email-based list (just like I did last time
this question came up)... I *never* have time to browse the web for
interesting threads to read... so if it doesn't fall in my Inbox then
I'll never know that an issue came up.

This being said, if you want to mirror the list on the web somewhere
with a better archive then I'm with you on that, but the basic concept
has to remain IMHO: there has to be a 100% Email service for those who
prefer that.

> > To address a couple of your wishes: you can search the
> > archives for this
> > list at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users and
> > you'll find the archives there as well. You can browse by date or by
> > thread, in one-month chunks.
>
> I know. I've done that. And it sucks.

I agree with the need for a better archive and search engine.  But that
can be done without changing the current Email-based system and could
address most of the needs that you expressed.  You could even host this
secondary archive yourself without even telling UMN if you wanted.

> That said, how do I do the following with the current setup --
>
> 1. Get emails only on a particular thread (most impt) ?

But how do you learn about that thread in the first place?  Most threads
on the MapServer list are 2 or 3 messages long at max, so by the time
you subscribe then it's over.

> 2. If I am following the thread by searching the archives (as suggested
> above), then how do I post to the thread -- I can't post unless I am
> subscribed, and as soon as I subscribe I am back to problem #1 above.

The requirement to subscribe in order to be allowed to post was added in
order to limit SPAM AFAIK.  If you switch to a system where you can post
by Email in a specific thread (you suggested that in your reply to
Allan) then you're back with the SPAM problem.  More limited maybe, but
the potential for SPAM comes back.

> 3. How do I access my emails when I am away from my computer (I am assuming
> not everyone has IMAP)?

You can always browse the web archives...

> 4. And (2nd most impt. after #1 above) how do I send an attachment for a few
> folks to view without having it broadcast to all 4 million (last count)
> Mapserver users :-)?

How about sending a personal Email to those individuals with just the
attachment in parallel to the list message?

> I understand not everyone is gonna like the web way of doing forums. I do
> think it has some major advantages over the old listserv way.

I guess I'm old then... and probably getting stubborn too!  ;)

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca