[mapserver-users] slightly offtopic -- mapserver forums

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Dec 17 16:31:15 EST 2001

Hmmmm... I knew there would be detractors, but I didn't expect the voice of
dissent so soon. :-)

Well, here's some responses Allan --

> 	Allan
>
> I'll weigh in and support the current setup. I find email delivery
> integrates far better with how I work than having to look at web based
> fora.

fine then... subcribe to the threads and have the discussion software send
you an email.

> To address a couple of your wishes: you can search the
> archives for this
> list at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users and
> you'll find the archives there as well. You can browse by date or by
> thread, in one-month chunks.

I know. I've done that. And it sucks.

That said, how do I do the following with the current setup --

1. Get emails only on a particular thread (most impt) ?
2. If I am following the thread by searching the archives (as suggested
above), then how do I post to the thread -- I can't post unless I am
subscribed, and as soon as I subscribe I am back to problem #1 above.
3. How do I access my emails when I am away from my computer (I am assuming
not everyone has IMAP)?
4. And (2nd most impt. after #1 above) how do I send an attachment for a few
folks to view without having it broadcast to all 4 million (last count)
Mapserver users :-)?

I understand not everyone is gonna like the web way of doing forums. I do
think it has some major advantages over the old listserv way.

Let's all weigh in (or forever hold your piece, etc.)

Cheers,

pk/