[mapserver-users] slightly offtopic -- mapserver forums

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Dec 17 17:52:19 EST 2001

If I had to vote for one I'd stick with the mailing list if for no other reason that it keeps me involved. Because I rely on email so much the mailing list allows for fairly quick responses to questions. That would certainly suffer without the list.

The web client sucks, I agree. There have got to be better implementations out there. Perhaps a hosted list that provided a better web client...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> Puneet Kishor <pkishor at geoanalytics.com> 12/17/01 16:32 PM >>>
man... so this is it... Puneet versus the rest of the world :-). Ok, here
goes --

The fact that I get a slew of emails from the Mapserver list make my life
more chaotic than if I were to make a conscious decision to go to the
website and read the messages. A web-based forum would be even more crucial
for someone pressed for time. Specifically, wrt "so if it doesn't fall in my
Inbox then I'll never know that an issue came up" -- just set aside some
time to periodically scan different threads. Alternatively, (and
additionally), flag the threads that you want to follow and have the web
server automatically email you the new messages. That way you can choose to
read them in your email box without ever having to go to the web.

> This being said, if you want to mirror the list on the web somewhere
> with a better archive then I'm with you on that, but the basic concept
> has to remain IMHO: there has to be a 100% Email service for those who
> prefer that.

Sure thing. As I fully expect, not everyone will want a specific way. Having
a choice would accommodate everyone.

> > That said, how do I do the following with the current setup --
> >
> > 1. Get emails only on a particular thread (most impt) ?
>
> But how do you learn about that thread in the first place?
> Most threads
> on the MapServer list are 2 or 3 messages long at max, so by the time
> you subscribe then it's over.

Except, most threads on the Mapserver list are repeats ad infitum. There are
about a thousand threads everyday asking how to turn the legend on/off, or
how to include the PHPlib, or how to create a symbol, et al.

In any case, as I mentioned above (at least this is what I do), set aside a
little time, get a cup of your favorite blend, and scan through the recent
messages everyday. Find a thread interesting? -- pitch in, or flag it for
emails.

> > 2. If I am following the thread by searching the archives
> (as suggested
> > above), then how do I post to the thread -- I can't post unless I am
> > subscribed, and as soon as I subscribe I am back to problem
> #1 above.
>
> The requirement to subscribe in order to be allowed to post
> was added in
> order to limit SPAM AFAIK.  If you switch to a system where
> you can post
> by Email in a specific thread (you suggested that in your reply to
> Allan) then you're back with the SPAM problem.  More limited
> maybe, but
> the potential for SPAM comes back.

nope... the forum would require a login as well. Spammers get a hefty Doc
Martens in their arse, while us nice guys continue monitoring and yakking to
our heart's content.

> > 4. And (2nd most impt. after #1 above) how do I send an
> attachment for a few
> > folks to view without having it broadcast to all 4 million
> (last count)
> > Mapserver users :-)?
> >

> How about sending a personal Email to those individuals with just the
> attachment in parallel to the list message?

well said, except folks don't usually follow this... I have a few word
documents in my Mapserver emails that I simply didn't care to open. Keeping
them on the server insures no one gets it unless they want it. The choice is
back in the hands of the proletariat.

> > I understand not everyone is gonna like the web way of
> doing forums. I do
> > think it has some major advantages over the old listserv way.
> >

> I guess I'm old then... and probably getting stubborn too!  ;)

Shucks, Daniel. That is not what Darwin had in mind. Here I am rapidly
growing younger and even getting into AOL IM with a little help from my 13
yr old daughter. All it takes is a phone call and an open mind (to misquote
Sister Cleo).

I hope others weigh in too. Otherwise methinks my voice is gonna get drowned
here rapidly. web forum is already trailing email list 2-1.

pk/