[mapserver-users] slightly offtopic -- mapserver forums

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 17 18:30:59 EST 2001

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> man... so this is it... Puneet versus the rest of the world :-). Ok, here
> goes --

As I'm writing this it's already 5-1 for the Email list... but it's not
all lost since everyone also agrees with getting a better web-based
archive and search engine...

I know all about the "coolness-factor" associated with web-based tools
and you wouldn't believe how many web-based tools we use (and even
developed in-house) at DM Solutions... and I'm the first one to push
them, *except* when it comes to discussion forums where Email is
waayyyyyy more efficient in my opinion... it takes only a fraction of a
second to delete unwanted Emails... but at least 10 seconds to get to a
message on the web (click-click-click, wait 3-5 seconds per page, that's
12 seconds already!)

However, I can appreciate the fact that there is quite a bit of traffic
on the mapserver-users list and this can be a problem for someone who is
only interested by specific issues.  Daily digests are great for that...
unfortunately this list doesn't offer that service (or didn't last time
I checked)...

Could someone at UMN please add daily digests on our Christmas list?

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca