[mapserver-users] topo.com (National Geographic Maps)

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Dec 18 17:41:40 EST 2001

It's all possible, you just need great data- that's where the time and effort is. Fast apps can be developed with good data as easily as with bad. Nice thing is that good data makes it look harder than it is.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders at tincan.org> 12/18/01 04:44PM >>>
While looking a a friends site/project I noticed he has some very nice
maps that came from topo.com.  After looking at the site I couldn't
decide if it had been mentioned on the list plus a search turned up
zero.
   My take is that they mostly off maps that have been pre-generated or
scanned in.  They do look nice.  Shaded relief and the contour lines
make them pleasant to look at and usable.

So where am I dragging this?  Well has anyone done similar look-and-feel
stuff with mapserver?  Is it possible?  I realize much of it would be
CPU and time intensive and therefore not very responsive in the
web-world.

Cheers,
Rod
--