[mapserver-users] RE: being prompted to download mapserv file (no .exe) when trying to initialize

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Dec 18 19:31:55 EST 2001

Perry et al. -

I don't think that's likely to be the problem, and might make things
worse.  The symptom seems as if the /cgi-bin directory has (as a
security precaution <g>) Execute permission disabled by default.  In
other words, users can only Read documents there, not Execute them, and
since the user is trying to Read a document that can't be rendered by
the browser (an .EXE file, that is) the client tries to download it.

In the Internet Services Manager, right-click on the cgi-bin virtual
directory folder, and select Properties.  Make sure the Execute
Permissions drop-down (near the bottom on the Virtual Directory tab)
reads "Scripts and Executables".  Also, from the Windows Explorer, check
the Security tab on that folder and make sure the IUSR_<machinename>
anonymous user account has "Read and Execute" permission.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com