[mapserver-users] topo.com (National Geographic Maps)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at tincan.org
Wed Dec 19 00:44:41 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Ed McNierney wrote:

> Rod -
>
> The Topo!/National Geographic maps are very attractive products, but
> they have nothing to do with serving maps on the Web.

Well it was a web site I first saw them on.  A question about where they
came from referred me to the Topo site.  They have some kind of cross
advertising agreement with the Topo people is my understanding.  I
thought they were generating them online and pulling them back to their
web site.  (Some times too much knowledge is a bad thing!)

> The Topo! products are CD-ROM raster map products with viewing software.

Found that out when I looked at the site.

> The ability to add shaded relief to MapServer maps is something I've
> been working on as a back-burner project for a while.

Got a few of those my self.  Some are so far back the stove is in
another city.  ;-)

> There are a few different ways to attack the problem, but several
> routes require MapServer to support 24-bit color images (at least
> while rendering - they can be downsampled before being sent to the
> client).  As has been discussed in other threads, there is a good
> bit of interest in 24-bit MapServer rendering but a number of
> technical hurdles that will make sure it doesn't happen excessively
> soon (at least not in a general way).

Thanks Ed.

With Steve's announcement of the Version 3.5 release I guess I better
get my project going again.  Maybe a little tinkering will get me
straight about all the stuff Mapserver already does.  (Then I can whine
a snivel about what it doesn't do :-)

Best,
Rod
--