[mapserver-users] topo.com (National Geographic Maps)

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Dec 18 19:54:09 EST 2001

Rod -

The Topo!/National Geographic maps are very attractive products, but
they have nothing to do with serving maps on the Web.

The Topo! products are CD-ROM raster map products with viewing software.
As far as I know, Topo! (when they were Wildflower Productions) were the
first vendors to produce topographic maps on CD-ROM for viewing.  They
purchased printed USGS maps and scanned them themselves.  As I recall,
they added the hillshading (shaded relief) later on.

The resulting images are very nice, but they're really just static
images.  From a map viewing and serving perspective, there's no "server"
or on-the-fly rendering involved.  They just show you portions of a very
big pre-generated picture.

The Topo! maps are not viewable on the Web in any way, shape or form
(although it wouldn't be hard to do so).  They only have a few sample
images up on their Web site.

The ability to add shaded relief to MapServer maps is something I've
been working on as a back-burner project for a while.  There are a few
different ways to attack the problem, but several routes require
MapServer to support 24-bit color images (at least while rendering -
they can be downsampled before being sent to the client).  As has been
discussed in other threads, there is a good bit of interest in 24-bit
MapServer rendering but a number of technical hurdles that will make
sure it doesn't happen excessively soon (at least not in a general way).

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com