[mapserver-users] FW: [ESRI-L] PHP and ArcIMS: beta connector

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Thu Dec 20 09:22:38 EST 2001

FYI... Off topic, but thought this would be of some interest to many on the
list. Plus it's licensed under GNU!

Cheers!

Chip

-----Original Message-----
From: Christoph Spoerri [mailto:spoerri at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 1:48 PM
To: ESRI-L at ESRI.COM
Subject: [ESRI-L] PHP and ArcIMS: beta connector

Hi,

Early this summer I started working on a ArcIMS prototype for a website
that uses PHP as scripting language.  Since we didn't have ColdFusion and
were using an apache server on a UNIX box, we couldn't use ASP either.  And
at last, the HTML viewer didn't do it either, since we tap into databases
pretty heavily.

So, I set out and created a basic php connector for ArcIMS.  After a couple
months of work, I had a working prototype as well as code I would like to
share with other ArcIMS/PHP developers.  I know there's some small demand
for this, since I saw requests on ESRI's user forums.

Now, I want to warn you. The work I have done is only based on my setup,
experience and needs. What that means is: there are still bugs and missing
functionality.  But this is also an opportunity, since you can help figure
out any problems, suggest new features and improvements, or even better,
help me with the development work.  What do you think?

The existing work can be found at: http://phparcims.sourceforge.net

Note: most of the work was done on my free time (what is not much), so
things are pretty bare bone.  This also means that I'm more than happy for
any help, is it coding, testing or designing a nicer web page.

So, please let me know what you think.

thanks,
Christoph

Christoph Spoerri