[mapserver-users] MacOS X once again

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Dec 20 09:32:47 EST 2001

All right you brainiacs,

Last night I got Mapserver to compile on MacOS X 10.1.1. Couldn't get gd12
to compile but did get gd184 to compile with jpeg and libpng. Then Mapserver
compiled too, although it did puke out a thousand abuses at me.

Then I ran Mapserver from the command line and it gave me the reassuring...

[darwin/~pkishor]% ./mapserv
This script can only be used to decode form results and
should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.
[darwin/~pkishor]%

ahhhhhh... paydirt, you say. Not so quick, I say.

First, I really need to compile it with gd12, because, while png is
nice'n'all, my browsers don't do png.

Second, I think those vituperations Mapserver hurled at me during
compilation tell me something's wrong. When I tried to test with the itasca
demo I got a bunch of binary crap in my browser...

usually when the browser encounters a png file it simply pops up a box
saying it doesn't know how to handle it. Not this time. This time it was a
load of binary... the kind of comic characters you see the vikings speak in
"Asterix in Scandinavia".

I am going to do the whole thing again today, and try to capture the buffer
from the terminal. I will also enlist the help of a colleague who knows a
malloc from a mallet. My hope is once I get this running, I will package it
up as an OS X binary package using packagemaker.

Over and out.

pk/