[mapserver-users] MacOS X once again one more time

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Dec 20 12:42:02 EST 2001

ok, here's the scoop.

I've got Mapserver 3.5 working on my Pismo G3 running MacOS X 10.1.1.
Additionally, I can get IE also to view the PNGs (sorry Ed, I did hath
misspoke).

Gory details --

gd1.8.4 based on libjpeg (jpeg v6b) and libpng (libpng 1.2.1). Clear
instructions for compiling gd on MacOS X are at
http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Workbench/2001-06-12.01.html.

Apple includes Zlib (required for libpng).

I was unable to compile gd1.2.

When compiling Mapserver, best is _not_ to give the --with-gd path, etc. Let
.configure find gd itself. It does so.

A few interesting tidbits --

1. I had to enter the absolute paths for the demo.map and the tmp file in
the demo_init.html. Without absolute paths mapserv did not know where to go.
It would be nice to be able to enter relative paths in order to make an
application portable. Am I overlooking something obvious?

2. I had to set the owner and group of tmp to www and nobody. Otherwise the
images were not getting written to the tmp directory. Anyone know anyway to
get around this?

Other than that, everything works. I need to recompile my Mapserver with PHP
support. Guess I need to read Daniel's directives.

SDL -- do I have to do anything special to compile Perl/Mapscript in
Mapserver... this is the portion I am unclear about. I know you answered my
query re. Perl/Mapscript on Windoze. But, now my question is specifically
wrt *nix version.

Once all this is done and kosher I want to use something like packagemaker
or installermaker or DaMage or some such... to create a MacOS X binary
package. Click and install. Most all MacOS X setups are gonna be identical
so providing a binary would save us Mac types with a bunch of grief. I mean,
I really don't know a c-compiler from an icon.

Today is good.

pk/