MapServer with Cold Fusion?

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Feb 22 11:40:30 EST 2001

David,

You CANNOT use MapServer with ColdFusion in the same way that you would with
PHP or Perl.

If you NEED to have a ColdFusion page with a mapserver tool, here is what I
suggest:

Setup a seperate mapserver (CGI Version) Somewhere. Create a mapfile and so
on to suit your needs.
Also, create a template that ONLY returns a fully qualified URL to the
temporary image.

THEN, from CF, all you have to do is use CFHTTPGET to send a query to the
mapserver, with all appropriate parameters.  MapServer will generate the
map, and return the world accessible URL to reach it.  You can then use this
URL to embed it into your HTML output, and the webbrowser will fetch the map
from the said server (Could be the same box, or half way accross the world).

Using the flexibility of the CGI parameters and the really great system that
allows you to set almost any mapfile parameter from the URL, you can do
pretty much anything remotely, assuming the data you want is available on
the said server of course.

This basically turns MapServer into a OGC WMT like server, only with a
completely non-standard Web API :) (Which is actually much more powerfull
than the WMT in many ways).

You can achieve this functionality with any server side scripting language
that can do HTTP GET's, such as Perl, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, and probably
more.

I'm sending this to the list, they might find this handy as well.

Looks like paul at tei.or.th is looking into a MapServer for CF using WDDX ?.
This stuff is a bit over my head, but it would definitely be very cool, and
make it (MapServer) even more accessible to the masses.

Cheers,
J.F.