Mapscript - java - Rosa applet question

Robert Chavez rchavez at perseus.tufts.edu
Sun Feb 25 14:49:25 EST 2001

I was wondering if any users had implemented DM Soulution's Rosa java
applet with Mapserver/Mapscript.

I've incorporated the applet with my mapscript project and it works great
on Netscape, but I'm running into some funky errors with IE (specifically
5.5 -- haven't gone back to 4.0 yet).  The applet loads just fine in IE
but after a user tries to pan zoom in, zoom out, draw a rectangle, etc
(all operations that should automatically submit the form data back
to the server), no joy.  This works with Netscape so I'm wondering if
there's some LiveConnect issue in IE.

I can supply a URL is anyone is interested.

I receive the following errors from the IE Java Console:

Exception occurred during event dispatching:
com.ms.com.ComFailException:
(0x80020006) Unknown name.
	at com/ms/com/Dispatch.NInvokeReal

And in my apache error log I read:

[error]File does not
exist: /web/docs/rosa/applet/Rosa2000BeanInfo.class

[error] File does not
exist: /web/docs/rosa/applet/Rosa2000$COMClassObject.class

IE seems to be expecting a BeanInfo.class file in the rosa.jar file, and
the COMClassObject.class error suggests IE doesn't recognize LiveConnect
for some reason (although LiveConect is supposed to be suported).

A contributing factor might be that I'm using mapscript and Perl to
generate the HTML code that's sent to the user's browser -- which
means there's no physical HTML file in the server's web directory, and
which may screw up IE somehow.  I'm still working through this issue
though.

I've used the rosa applet 'out-of-the-box' and recompiled it under
different SDK's (1.2, 1.3), but I get the same error every time.

Has anyone run into these problems with Rosa and IE? Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob Chavez
Perseus Project