Problems with empty/error templates and symbols

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Tue Feb 27 07:46:08 EST 2001

Dear List,

I am having some problems with a new mapserver-website. Perhaps anyone
who has experienced
similar behaviour of mapserv could help.

FYI: The website is hosted on a remote ISP, so i have not been able to
compile mapserv under this particular environment, i have rather tried
to simulate the environment on one of our local machines and then copied
the mapserv-cgi to our remote /cgi-bin. Anyway, mapserv responds and
works well. It is ms34 with tif, jpeg, gd12, ttf, eppl7 support
compilation.

One problem is that mapserv does not use the ERROR template in the
mapfile. But it does use the EMPTY template. So one time the
webserver/mapserver displays the empty template and one time it displays
a "500 Internal Server Error". It is the same template and has the same
definition.

Another thing: I classified a polygon shape layer in several classes and
used the shade symbols with transparent horizontal/vertical stripes
(from the demo symbol file, but in the new symbolset form). When
activating this layer mapserv kept crashing (http 500 Error). The
request to mapserv to generate this particular map does not appear in
the log file! After I switched to another symbol (transparent #)
everything worked. !?

Could both problems be related to the remote ISP environment? But why
would other things work without problems? Hmm, any suggestions?
If I have the permission of our client i will post the URL.

BTW, is the sym2img utility still in use and working with the new
symbolset file?

Cheers, Michael

Michael Schulz                                in medias res
Dipl.-Geologe                              Gesellschaft für
                                Informationstechnologie mbH
                             Sautierstr. 38, 79104 Freiburg
                                     0761 55695-95 (Fax 96)
mschulz at webgis.de                             www.webgis.de