future directions for mapserver

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jan 5 13:51:57 EST 2001

Michael,

Here are answers to some of your questions...

Michael Hearne wrote:

> 2) I'm currently working on a project to serve up imagery over the Web.
> I know that some of you have had success connecting MapServer to ArcSDE
> for vector data - are there any success stories or plans for future
> integration with raster data?  (I know ArcSDE is a little shaky on
> imagery, so I don't expect a lot now...)

We are going to add support for the GDAL library in MapServer in the
coming months.  I don't think this will give access to SDE rasters, but
it will add a bunch of formats... http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

> 3) What are the future plans for MapServer?  If the NASA funding dries
> up, or Steve Lime decides to retire, what happens?  Is anybody committed
> to picking up the lead if he goes away?

We (DM Solutions Group) have and continue to invest quite a bit in
MapServer and OpenSource software in general and we would likely be
there to keep MapServer alive if that was to happen.  Of course,
what you suggest won't happen (nobody would want that!)... but since
you asked.  :)

Best Regards,
 Daniel Morissette                morissette at dmsolutions.ca
                 http://www.dmsolutions.ca/