future directions for mapserver

Michael Hearne Michael.Hearne at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 5 13:03:51 EST 2001

MapServer users (and developers) - I'm in the position to recommend
using various internet mapping applications.  I'm most excited about
MapServer, but I have to be practical, so I have some questions that I
thought some of you might be able to answer.  Steve Lime probably could
address all of these, but perhaps others could help?

1)  Currently, MapServer is limited to 8 bit imagery.  The home page for
GD says that full color image support will be available in version 2.0.
How long will it take to incorporate that capability into MapServer?
(And I'll have to ask the GD folks when 2.0 is coming...)

2) I'm currently working on a project to serve up imagery over the Web.
I know that some of you have had success connecting MapServer to ArcSDE
for vector data - are there any success stories or plans for future
integration with raster data?  (I know ArcSDE is a little shaky on
imagery, so I don't expect a lot now...)

3) What are the future plans for MapServer?  If the NASA funding dries
up, or Steve Lime decides to retire, what happens?  Is anybody committed
to picking up the lead if he goes away?

That last question was not for me, but for my manager, who does not
share my confidence in open-source software.

Thanks!

-Mike Hearne

Michael G. Hearne     	  	email: Michael.Hearne at noaa.gov
Coastal Remote Sensing  		phone: 843 740-1281
TPMC/NOAA Coastal Services Center	fax:   843 740-1312
2234 S. Hobson Ave.,    Charleston, SC 29407