[mapserver-users] mapserver architecture for multi-websites on several machines

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 17 14:13:08 EDT 2001

Claude Philipona wrote:

> Thanks for your help. A few more questions:
>
> - is OGC WMS also supported in PHP/Mapscript (source comming from the nightly
> build) or only in the cgi version?

The 'mapserv' CGI executable will automagically detect if it is
receiving a WMS request based on the URL parameters and will behave as a
WMS server if it receives a WMS request.

There is nothing in MapScript related to WMS... WMS is just a
standardized set of CGI parameters (and related behaviors) to use in
communicating with a map server and MapServer knows how to respond to
these CGI parameters.

> - if yes, where how can we use the different getCapabilities, getMap,
> getFeature wiht PHP/Mapscript.

MapServer cannot yet act as a WMS client (but this is coming as I wrote
earlier), so at the moment you would have to build WMS URLs yourself in
PHP, call the remote WMS servers via HTTP protocol, and combine the
returned images using the GD PHP package or an equivalent tool.

> - where can i find a little more documentation or examples on how to use OGC
> WMS with Mapserver and PHP/Mapscript?

There is not much documentation on how to use MapServer as a WMS at the
moment.  We're working on a WMS HOWTO that should be ready in the next
week or two.  The best for you is probably to wait for this HOWTO to
become available.

If you search the list archive, you might find some blurbs of
information that circulated in the last 2 months.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca