[mapserver-users] strange error with mapserver/ogr

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 17 15:29:20 EDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Drew wrote:
> >
> > configure: error: Could not find one of ogr_feature.h, ogrsf_fmrts.h,
> > cpl_conv.h, ogr.a, ogrsf_frmts.a, or cpl.a in
> > /home/drew/mapserver/gdal-1.1.4/ogr.
> > [root at melbwireless mapserver]# cd /home/drew/mapserver/gdal-1.1.4/ogr
> > [root at melbwireless ogr]# ls ogr_feature.h
> > ogr_feature.h
> >
> > this was using mapserver 3.5 nightly build from yesterday
>
> Drew / Rob,
>
> I was unable to reproduce this error.  Is this working with the current CVS
> source for MapServer or older packaged source?  The older configure logic
> was somewhat flackey, but I thought it was currently pretty bulletproof.
> I also tried with gdal 1.1.4 and the current CVS source. Both seemed to
> configure alright, though I see that MapServer CVS requires GDAL CVS,
> since the GDAL 1.1.4 OGR support lacks a feature now required by MapServer.

Drew, Rob, Frank, ...

I guess the error message should be more explicit, but what it means is
that configure looked for all the following files:
 ogr_feature.h, ogrsf_fmrts.h, cpl_conv.h, ogr.a, ogrsf_frmts.a, cpl.a
and at least one of them could not be found.

It is likely that you had not yet compiled the OGR tree at the time you
ran configure and one of the .a files was not found.  Was it the case?

As Rob noted, there are several ways to compile GDAL/OGR independently
or not in MapServer and perhaps that's not well enough documented (if at
all!?!):

1- OGR only statically linked into MapServer, then you point configure
   directly to the ogr source tree after having compiled OGR:
     configure --with-ogr=/path/to/ogr/source

2- GDAL only using libgdal.so installed in system lib dirs, this assumes
   you have previously run 'make install' as root in your GDAL source
   tree:
     configure --with-gdal
   or
     configure --with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config
   (or whatever the path to the installed gdal-config script is.)

3- GDAL and OGR using libgdal.so.  Same as #2 above, but add --with-ogr
   with no argument:
     configure --with-gdal --with-ogr
   or
     configure --with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config --with-ogr

I'll copy these notes in the README.CONFIGURE

I hope that helps.
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca