[mapserver-users] Mapserver v/s Mapscript?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 19 10:51:37 EDT 2001

MapScript and MapServer CGI are not generally used together. MapScript
gives you the tools to build custom versions of the CGI that better suit your
needs. The CGI versions provides a lot of out-of-the-box functionality.

The CGI version is not equipted to handle mutliple query points. It can handle
a box as input. Standard HTML forms are not capable of doing what you
want so you'll have to look at custom client pieces (via java, dhtml,...) too.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Vinko Vrsalovic B." <v at w.cl> 07/18/01 06:17PM >>>

Hello.

Is it possible for a script written in mapscript to interact
with the mapserver cgi?

If it is, in what way? and how?

I'm kinda confused about this point, and I don't know if i need to
write the scripts and forget about the mapserv CGI or make them
interact.

My application needs to add layers to an already displayed map based
on a two points query.

That is, the user clicks over one point, then over a second point and
then i should, based on what points the user clicked on, display
another layer on top of the map.

>From what i've seen this isn't possible using only the template file,
mainly because the cgi 'sumbits' itself at the first click over the map
zone, am I wrong?

Help please! :)

(thanks in advance)
--