[mapserver-users] Problems with TrueType

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jul 19 17:21:11 EDT 2001

Oberdan Luiz May wrote:

>         I'm a newbie with mapserver, and I'm having some problems to compile/build
> it correctly. I'm trying to make this work on a Solaris 2.6 SPARC, using
>
>         mapserver 3.5
>         GD 1.8.4
>         FreeType 2.0.4
>
>         GD is being compiled with FreeType, and when mapserver is configured, it
> finds the freetype support on DG and builds all correctly, but when I try
> to use one truetype font, I get the error :
>
> msGetLabelSize(): TrueType Font error. libgd was not built with FreeType
> font support

It could be that you have 2 versions of GD on your system and the wrong
one gets picked.  Try using the following configure option:

  --with-gd=static,/path/to/gd-1.8.4

This will explicitly link with /path/to/gd-1.8.4/libgd.a instead of
using -lgd which would search your library path and may find the wrong
library.

If that doesn't work, then you may be in the same boat as me... I've
been experiencing similar problems trying to compile GD1.8.4 from source
with Freetype2 ... things did compile and I'm convinced that the right
copy of the lib was loaded, but I couldn't load any TTF font in
MapServer.

That was using the GD1.8.4 source code with the Freetype2 that comes
preinstalled on RH7.1 ... I never had time to figure out the problem but
it seemed to me like I had not built the GD+freetype combination
properly.  So I just decided to fallback to the GD1.8.4 RPM that is
distributed with RH7.1

But if anyone figures it out or gets that combination working then I
would apreciate hearing about what they did.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca