[mapserver-users] Map Orientation

Rob Martinson cathode at nichebox.com
Fri Jul 20 17:20:35 EDT 2001

Rotating the image won't work because pixels are square and that would
throw my extents way off in the final display if I had to make up the
extra whitespace from rectangular image corners across the sides. I
hadn't thought of reprojecting, but that's a possiblity.

A few applications that I can think of off the top of my head. First is
GPS tracking applications where you may "follow" a vehicle. The vehicle
is always centered within the extent and always oriented to the top of
the map with the map rotating as direction changes. Additionally,
sometimes coverages are better displayed with a specific feature at map
top rather than true North. For example, a map of ski runs on the North
face of a mountain. Just doesn't seem right to ski from bottom to top :)

It's not a big issue, and I'm sure you have a million things on your
plate. Just an idea.

Thanks for listening!

Rob Martinson
Nichebox - http://www.nichebox.com