[mapserver-users] What is the importance of a good Video Card ?

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Jul 25 19:51:28 EDT 2001

Dave,

To clarify and add to what Greg is saying...

Mapserver is a server side software... there is no rendering to be seen...
Mapserver makes an image and either dumps it in a tmp directory from where
it is served up, or sends it directly to the calling program (standard
output). Video card would be important for the user who is browsing the
Mapserver website... because the user's computer would have to download and
actually render the image.

As far as Mapserver is concerned, you could make it headless, that is
without any monitor at all, if your OS permitted it.

Get a fast server with gobs of ram... you can assemble good configs for real
cheap... I recently priced one for kicks... a dual PIII 1 Ghz with 1.5 Gb
RAM and a 40 Gb hd for about $1300. Be happy.

pk/

--
Puneet Kishor
pkishor at geoanalytics.com