[mapserver-users] finding extent of a polygon

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Jul 26 08:54:42 EDT 2001

Hi all,

The following is proving to be inordinately difficult. I hope someone on
the list can either guide me to the correct way, or confirm that it is
not possible so I stop wasting my time.

For simplicity sake, say, I have a parcels layer with an attribute
called parcel_id. Given a parcel_id I want that polygon (or polygons, if
I have more than one parcel_id), get its extent, and zoom to it.

The closest I have gotten is trying to read in the parcel.shp file using
ms_newShapeFileObj like so --

$shapeFile = ms_newShapefileObj( "data/parcel", -1 );

which, of course, doesn't work right there... gives me a "Fatal error:
Failed to open shapefile data/parcel.

Even if I could get the shape file open, I really don't know quite what
to do next. I can't really query the shape file with $parcel_id because
$parcel_id is an attribute and is really stored in the parcel.dbf.
However, parcel.dbf doesn't have any (visible) link between the
attribute and the shape file... there must be one... some kind of shape
index... what is it? where is it stored? how do I access it?

As I said above, at the very least I need to know whether the above is
even possible or not. Then I have worry about why I can't open the shape
file? then I have to find the link between the shape file and the dbf
file for that layer.

Many tia,

pk/