[mapserver-users] Simple embedded features. No Attachment

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue May 15 17:14:53 EDT 2001

Not a problem. We're a tolerant bunch!

Embedded features are a way to store information in the map file without having
to create an external dataset. This was done to support things like placing logos
or copyrights, drawing decorative boxes/neatlines and so on. Because you can
create these features on-the-fly via a URL they are useful for allowing users to
place their own markers on a map.

(the reference map at http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/local/www/docs/compass/view_java.map&zoomsize=3&zoomdir=1
uses this technique to create a map dependent on scale)

They are not based on any standard and are not really meant for anything more
than a few dozen features. I have to run now but will post examples this evening.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Shane Covington" <scoving at cast.uark.edu> 05/15/01 04:06PM >>>
Well, I said I was new, including sending to the wrong email address.

Here's a copy so the attachment will not have to be opened

I have just recently started using MapServer and I am unfamiliar with one of
the supported formats ... simple embedded features.
How does this compare to the OpenGIS Well-known Text format?

And, are there any examples which use simple embedded features instead of
shapefiles?

Any help on examples or more documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane