[mapserver-users] PNG vs. GIF

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed May 30 10:32:41 EDT 2001

The new release WILL support gif (if you're licensed). There's a link to a
patch for the new versions of GD on the docs section of the MapServer
web site in the 3.5 compile how-to. The patch adds GIF support to the
latest versions of GD. MapServer will detect the presence of the patch
and can create GIFs then.

The biggest deal with PNG is the general lack of support in Java and older
browsers. Assume that will get better in the future...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Hankley, Chip" <Chip.Hankley at GASAI.com> 05/30/01 08:29AM >>>
I'm trying to come to grips with PNG vs. GIF support with MapServer.

If I understand the information on the website and from the archives
correctly, the next (pending?) release will not support GIF. I would assume
then, that as a new user I should start working with the PNG version.

OTH, I found that the Mapplet script apparently doesn't work with PNG files.
Are there other unforeseen "pitfalls" of using PNG?

Cheers!

Chip Hankley